We arrived in Washington on Friday afternoon August 5th. It's been just over a week and I think we're finally finding our feet a little more. Lyle hit the ground running, he has written tons of assignments and read as many books within the first week.
Capitol Hill Baptist Church is a special place. Being located on 'the hill' a lot of its members live locally. Weirdly a lot of its members also live in other states! Of course DC is teeny tiny and is surrounded by Maryland and Virginia. In fact I went grocery shopping in Virginia this morning. It's a strange feeling, but is making a little more sense each time I venture out. And Virginia has a lower sales tax than DC...or so I've heard, so if I shop in Virginia I can justify my Starbucks spending.
When I go to the park within moments I'm able to spot at least 5 other church mothers there. It's a lovely opportunity to fellowship each day. I've hardly had to cook so far too! We have been made so welcome with dinner invitations.
At church on Sunday evening Lyle and I sat behind Mark Dever and Al Mohler. After church Lyle was invited to spend some time with Dr Mohler for a Q&A (a total intern perk).
We have figured out online shopping (and feel all the more American for it). I think partly as we don't have a car and Lyle simply doesn't have the time.
We went for a walk on Saturday to the Capitol Building and the Library of Congress. They are such amazing buildings. It was fun to understand a little more about the US political system too.
Hopefully we will be able to get some photos up soon. William is trying to walk - he's pulling up on everything and has his first tooth! Emma has started speaking with a bit of an American accent which is cute but confusing because I have to ask her a couple of times before I realise she's saying the "r" in a particular word.
We've decided we're going to love living here.



1 comment:
I want to come see you! Love it there too! :)
Post a Comment