Our 3 Blessings

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, 11 October 2012

On not keeping up...

Life is marching ahead too swiftly! I suppose it's that 'mother-of-young-children' stage I've heard of for so many years. I remember sitting in conferences and hearing the speaker say "of course this may not happen if you have young children" or "this may look a little different if you're a mother of young children" and I always thought to myself (ignorantly and ungraciously!) 'what a cop-out'. Of course now that I am a mother of young children I have been swiftly set in my place. Here are some examples of my current life circumstances:
- Humming small people tunes. I said "I have Humpty Dumpty in my head" at the dinner table last night to which Emma responded with a laugh, saying "Mummy, I have a spider on my head". I tried to explain but from what I remember it simply ended in me telling her to keep eating dinner without my laughing too much.
- Limited adult interaction. So much so that I find myself chatting to any moving adult in a shopping centre/shopping centre car park/shop/playground...and yes, even the postie - we have a female postie with a Russian accent. I saw my neighbour the other day, she was merely out to check her mailbox and we found ourselves talking for a good while, with both of us repeating "I'm sure that my boy is finished with his nap and wants to get out of his cot now" followed by further talk on educational standards in our local kindergartens.
- Not sleeping through the night even though my children are no longer babies. William coughs, wakes, cries or loses his dummy/paci, wakes, cries, or bangs his head, wakes, cries and while settling him I hear Emma stirring and waking from a bad dream - in the last bad dream she cut her thumb...?
- Lack of sleep resulting in tiredness.
- Tiredness resulting in the 'tired-mum' look. Caught an unflattering glimpse of myself today when I pulled out my phone camera and it was pointing to me instead of the kids - quite the fright I did receive!
The culmination of it all is that I don't really blog that much . . . (and have what feels like frustratingly limited brain capacity). But I suppose that's a good thing (the not blogging, not the small brain thing) - if I did my children may not have as many cuddles in their lives.

Picture time!

William is now in a big boy bed.
He has fallen out once but I happened to be walking in to check on him and caught him.
He did however wake up with a bruise across his eyelid yesterday morning. It explained what went 'bump' in the night.
 Our big girl is learning to READ! She loves it, I love it and it makes for some sweet Emma/Mummy time each day. Her word list currently includes: man, can, pan, ran, bee, see, the, Sam, bat, cat, hat, mat and possibly more but I'm getting tired.
 This was taken on Father's Day in September we took an afternoon walk after church.
 Swimming lessons. She has had 4 lessons and her hair has been fully wet ONCE.... but she is becoming braver and putting her face in more which is promising. 
 We have a fun walk through the "jungle" on the way home and see all sorts of imaginary animals. It's really a lot of fun.
(Will still smiles with his eyes closed)
 Speaking of Will - he got a tat! well, let's just say daddy pulled out the permanent marker at dinner one night...and then had the privilege of bathing our children all by himself. ha.

Making masks one afternoon. They didn't last long, most of our crafts don't unless I hide them and really there's no point in that because they're often made so poorly that they'll fall apart on their own anyway, so I take  pictures. I think subliminally I take the photos to make myself feel like I'm a good mum because the paper crafts, as helpfully time consuming as they are, make a big mess to clean up and inevitably end in one child crying at a destroyed work of art. But at the end of the hour I know somewhere in there we had FUN. At the same time. I have a good life.

1 comment:

Rob and Kim said...

You are a great mum, Liz. The children are growing beautifully.