May this year saw us on a two week trip to South Africa for Lyle's sister's wedding. The children were very excited but I think William's age caused him to be quite anxious before we left, poor boy. Emma's excited anticipation was understandable as she remembers our plane flights to the USA but Will was left in the dark somewhat, trying to figure out why exactly he was meant to be excited. That said, he was a champ. I was amazed at the ease of our flights. The children coped beautifully in our travels (read: Emma watched 12 hours straight of Peppa Pig) and over all they did a great job of adjusting to each moment, expected and unexpected. Not to mention all the new faces they were forced to discover. The Lord was good to us on our trip. I was worried about our safety, and worried that the children wouldn't cope with the massive daily changes being out of their environment, but God is truly good and He faithfully answered every one of my prayers.
Overall it was a fabulous trip. I love being in Durban when I'm there. When I'm not all I can think is how comfortable I am in Brisbane and how "dangerous" South Africa is. So, the fact that I say our trip was fabulous is truly something for which I can thank a very kind and gracious God.
Our first flight was around 6am from Brisbane to Sydney. After 2 more planes ('a big one and a little one') we landed, exhausted and safely in Durban.
By the end of the first week we had made our way to Lake Naverone in the Drakensberg. A family holiday destination for Lyle's family (immediate and extended) for many years. Stacey very cleverly chose this location for her wedding.
Enjoying a row in a boat, just the four of us.
Buddy being either jet lagged or intrigued.
Our angels ready for their role in the wedding.
Here's a link to the wedding photos. The photographers are friends of ours - Andy and Lyle went to high school together.
The children sat beautifully for me at the wedding, and I let them take photos. I have a feeling I took this one though - Emma managed to cut a few heads off when it was her turn.
Lyle officiated the wedding. Such a simple statement - the whole thing was almighty ordeal for him though. He got SO sick when were at the lake and I really can't believe he managed to stand for the hour he needed too. A very unexpected situation for us but again, God was so kind to allow him good health for long enough to do his part and bless his family.
This was early one morning feeding the ducks.
Lyle went fishing and caught two trout, one of which we (Lyle and William) ate for breakfast.
The glory of God displayed in Autumn colours!
Of course we made it a priority to see some African animals! Needless to say how great it was to give this experience to our children.
Isn't this a great photo?! How can giraffe's not be funny?
We also visited Ushaka Marine World in Durban. The aquarium is really well done.
A little lad all tuckered out.
One sincere regret is the serious lack of photos we took of our friends!!! We love them all so much and it was such a joy to have sweet fellowship with so many (but not enough) old faces. We also went to Kerry's wedding - Kerry introduced Lyle and I to each other in 2006/2007 (new years weekend) when I first went to Africa. To join in her wedding was such a lovely highlight, it was so fun that it was the weekend after Aunty Stacey's. It didn't feel like I hadn't been there since 2009 which is nice. I like that there's a couple of countries I can't visit and feel so at home, even though they're not mine.
It was a great time for the four of us to enjoy each other. I certainly appreciate my husband, it was really fun to be all together the whole time. I suppose that's what holidays are about, but this was just a really blessed time by God's grace.








No comments:
Post a Comment