After our recent family’s trip to South Africa for Aunty Stacey’s wedding, we decided to help our children understand more about poverty and in turn, thankfulness. In Brisbane, it certainly exists but is well hidden. The lesson in mind is to teach them to have thankful hearts for what we have from God and simultaneously encourage their hearts to grow with compassion for the needy and ultimately, the lost.
So we agreed that upon our return we are to have rice for dinner once a week. Rice, and only rice. Although, I realised that because they are only three and five it may be a good thought to add some salt and butter. Yeah OK, I confess, they couldn't care less about the butter and salt, but I really need it!
Little did I realise that my children’s love of rice (and I mean serious love) would preclude this parentally desired life lesson. We have only had two weeks and each night has been very pleasant as they have devoured their salted/buttered rice without complaint - and I think unfortunately without comprehension of the object lesson. A further unfortunate fact is that Emma is having a massive growth spurt and after begging for dessert we gave in and allowed her some rockmelon (cantaloupe) after her plate of rice.
Regardless, we will continue to eat rice once a week and discuss how and why we should be thankful every moment for what the Lord has given us. If anything, I'm certainly being refined by it . . . something for which to be thankful.




No comments:
Post a Comment