So the title of our blog is Wetherston WANDERINGS. I called that because it was alliteration and we had moved from South Africa to Australia. And that was about it. I didn't plan to wander quite as far as DC in 2011, but the Lord had it that in hand. And now . . .we're on the move again.
We've been in Australia again for 3 and a bit years. It’s been an interesting journey. Both Lyle and I grew up in our parents homes without moving around. Home was home. His family only moved when he and I met - he was in his 20’s and my parents are still in the family home. Neither of us imagined moving around so much. We have lived in six different houses in 7 years of marriage. I thought I’d get good at moving and making a new home a home but I still battle with it. During 2011 since the flood I became more precious about items, not less as you would expect. But I’m getting better at letting go of stuff now that we’ve had some stability in the last few years (read: no natural disasters and consequential displacement issues). So I’m happy to leave everything here in storage for a while. I think all that bothers me really is that stuff costs money and I hate spending money on a couch in one country when I have a perfectly good couch in another country. My quandary is that no matter what, I must spend money and it feels unnecessary - either shipping or purchasing new is going to cost and I hate feeling like a bad steward of money. But I digress . . .
Our move now is back to DC. We are so excited at this opportunity from the Lords hand. We loved our time there so much that it was rather heartbreaking to leave. Arriving back in Australia was hard, mostly because it wasn’t expected. Our plan at that point was to stay in the USA for Lyle to attend seminary then return to South Africa. That was always the “plan”. We no longer have a plan. Not that we ‘fly by the seat of our pants’ and do whatever, rather we have direction and hold it with an open hand - Proverbs 16:9 says “The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps.” This is certainly something we have seen to be true. When we were first married we had grand plans about when and how things were going to look over the following 5-6 years. We made it to a certain point when Emma was 7 months old. Then Lyle met Mark. He’s the pastor at the church we’re going to in DC. He’s great. His preaching is excellent. He’s a godly man for whom I am thankful yet my life was so much simpler before my husband met him! It’s been a great encouragement to be involved with the church there as it has an emphasis on what a healthy church looks like. That church has been fine tuned over the years and is an awesome experience being a part of it. In fact it has helped me tremendously to articulate some things I’ve not liked in other churches in which I’ve been involved. Not to say those churches are no good, that’s not at all what I’m saying, rather I can see what I understand to be healthy in a church. I suppose ultimately that is why we are so excited to be back in DC for a time.
Today we said good bye to our church family here and it has been heartwarming to feel so loved. I will miss my dear friends there - not to mention missing a few babies who are arriving later this year as well!
I’m anticipating a few tears to come, but at the moment the thought of finishing off a few bits and pieces and the daunting task of a 24 hour transit with three young children is occupying me so I don’t have time to cry.



No comments:
Post a Comment