Our 3 Blessings

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Tuesday, 3 January 2012

New York, New York

December 29th, 2011 marked our 4 year anniversary. It was fun to experience a cold anniversary for the first time. Usually it's so hot we're too exhausted to bother even thinking of something to do! While we were in Pennsylvania with our friends, they offered to look after the children for a night so we could head to NYC. It was such a kind offer from them and it was such a sweet gift from the Lord that, unknowingly to them, it was at the time of our anniversary.

Viewing the Empire State Building from the Rockerfeller Center.
Lyle is viewing it in a "Good, clear, helpful" manner - an inside joke with his intern friends, I'm glad it made him smile. (NB this photo is super special because it was taken by a fellow Aussie)
This is the front of the New York Library (that's me with the bright blue umbrella). I love that this amazing building is a library. At the same time it's kind of depressing in that it reminds me how young (and boring) Australian buildings are!!
We only had a short time to peek inside (before heading to a show on broadway!) but here's a couple of fun old things:

An original Beethoven manuscript. Very cool.
Here are the original Winnie the Pooh toys!!
Roo is behind Tigger and there's a bit of a reflection on him, Piglet is tiny so I thought I'd point him out to you - he's in the middle there.
Needless to say, these fella's have seen better days!

I couldn't resist calling my mum to tell her we were heading into Mary Poppins on Broadway. She was at work, so I first spoke to one of the employees, Julie, then dad (who honestly couldn't have been less excited) and finally mum who showed the appropriate amount of enthusiasm. Actually I think Julie was the most excited for me...
The show was amazing. Although the housemaid's accent was not up to scratch at all, she tried to do an English accept but kept visiting Scotland.

Here's West 42nd street (Broadway) and the blazing lights of times square in the background.
(I think I have that correct, it was all quite the sensory overload and was 11:30pm, so I may be a little off)

After a fantastic performance we stopped in at Starbucks. This is my favourite interpretation of Lyle's name yet . . . .
If you're confused this is what happened - he gave her too much information and confused her by saying "It's Lyle"

It...sly...le.


The Christmas tree in the background is in front of the Rockerfeller Center above the outdoor skating rink.

Erin was a mum to my children for two days, and I feel like I rediscovered myself. Thank you friend! I was amazed how 'renormalising' it was to be without my kidlets for a night. But I also discovered the cliche exists for a reason, absence does makes the heart grow fonder!

I am so grateful that we went to NYC for our 4th anniversary. At this rate there won't be anything special left for our 10th!!

3 comments:

Leonie Kuypers said...

What a fun trip!! I would love to meet your "Sly" one day!! Congratulations on your anniversary.

Rob and Kim said...

Happy Anniversary guys!! What a special treat to enjoy together. Loving your updates, as always.
Kim xx

Liz said...

Thanks! Leonie, I'd love to get him over to NZ sometime. Maybe I should send him for the Impact conference this year!